Saturday 22 September 2012

Everything's Rosy

Nothing restores my soul faster than the smell of roses. As my product cull continues I've come to realise that I have what can only described as a full blown addiction to all things rosy. So I thought I'd indulge myself by posting a little round up of my favourites......

Dr Hauschka Rose Body Oil

This is firmly top of the rosy pops in my book. Its just divine, when I was pregnant I used a whole bottle of this. It's a blend of damask rose and jojoba oils in sunflower seed oil which leaves the skin so, so soft, its not too greasy and smells like Heaven itself. It is soothing and you can really feel it caring for the skin.  I'd bathe in this daily given the chance! It s for around £20 for 75ml which would last those less heavy handed than myself a good 6 months, I think I got mine heavily discounted on eBay. 

Paul Smith Rose

My fabulous sister gave me a bottle of this one Christmas based purely on the name! As you'd expect it is very rosy but it is also fresh, sensual and smells a lot more modern than you might expect! It's floralness (is that even a word?) is balanced by a woody undertone which makes it deeper and more sensuous. I'm really quite addicted to this and love the body lotion too.

Champney Classic Rose Hand Wash & Wild Rose Range

I have a feeling the Classic Rose range may have been discontinued as I've not seen it in Boots for a while and Sainsbury's doesn't stock Champney's anymore (boo!) which is a real shame as this hand wash and the matching hand lotion were so lovely, left hands silky soft and lightly scented but the lotion absorbed easily and didn't leave a greasy residue.
Any sadness from the discontinuation of the classic rose was quickly forgotten on receiving a bottle of the wild rose bathing cream. This bubbles up nicely and feels so indulgent, leaves skin really soft and the scent lasts on the skin for ages afterwards. Its a blend or rose and rose hip oils which smells rosy enough but without being 'old lady'. I've not been able to find a matching body lotion which is a shame but have just discovered the Champney website has a 3 for 2 offer on at the minute!!

Montagne Jeunesse Damask Rose Indulgent Spa Face Mask

I can not slide into a bath full of Wild Rose without a generous helping of this smothered over my face. I've used lots of the Montagne masks over the years but had never seen this one until my wonderful mum gave me a tube of it (in a rose themed Christmas Hamper with the Champney's bath cream and the up coming candle! I did say I was obsessed!!). This mask doesn't just smell incredible but it leaves my skin softer and more supple and it doesn't itch as it dries like some Montagne masks do. I love how this comes in a tube that will last 5-10 applications depending on how dry your skin is feeling.

Marks and Spencer Fresh Rose Candle

Now, if you're going to pamper yourself with roses in the bathroom, you absolutely must have a rose scented bedroom to return to. This candle is lovely, it smells really fresh and is strong enough to scent a room but not overwhelm it and the scent lasts a good while after the candle is out. Not sure what the burn time is on these but I find they last a good couple of months of a couple of evenings a week burning. I can't go into Marks and Spencer without hunting for one of these! The box is lovely too.

Crabtree & Evelyn Rose Water Range

It was the Glycerine soaps from this range that first ignited my passion for all things rose scented. When I was a kid my mum worked in a hotel where each bathroom had a heart shape one. I thought they were the cutest things. Recently a friend from my halls of residence days came to stay and she said these soaps will always remind her of our nasty bathroom!!
Anyway these soaps are an absolute classic, beautiful old English rose scent, they're not drying (I have been know to use them on my face) and last ages. The whole range smells divine. I keep meaning to invest in the Hand Recovery Scrub. Later in the year when the winter and the frequent use of Alcohol based hand washes at work will no doubt leave them 'rough as a badgers arse' to quote a friend, this may come in handy (no pun intended) Perhaps Father Christmas will be reading this post!!

English Provender Rose Water

Ok, so this isn't a fully paid up member of the beauty product club, in fact I first bought it for a recipe but it makes a lovely toner, it's refreshing mixed with water in a facial spritz and it smells like Turkish delight. I've used it to sooth bite and stings and if my skin is feeling a bit ravaged a sweep of this on a cotton wool pad just makes me feel better!! 

The Best of The Rest

A couple of other notables to mention, they are lovely just not in my desert island rose hamper.
Yankee Candle; True Rose, smells lovely but burn it for too long and its overwhelming.
Body Shop Moroccan Rose Body Butter, like all body shop butters its a lovely consistency and smells great but mine went a bit 'off' in the tub, no idea why it just turned really solid after about a month.
Dr Organic Rose Otto Shampoo (from Holland and Barrett) smells lovely and leaves hair smelling lovely for hours but my hair never felt really clean afterwards, think its probably more suited to really dry hair and scalp.
Marks and Spencer Rose Lip Balm, small Vaseline type tin that I don't think is even available anymore. I've had it years and it refuses to die as a little goes a really long way. 

There you have it, I could probably go on for several hundred more words if I put my mind to it but realise not everybody is quite so passionate about roses, except maybe my mother!







No comments:

Post a Comment